These donut sticks are coated with a quick glaze made from colorful candy coating and cream.
FOR THE DONUTS:
- 8 refrigerated biscuits large size
- 4 cups vegetable oil or canola oil
- 8 oz candy coating one color, or use multiple colors!
- 4 TBSP whipping cream
- Colorful sprinkles
TO MAKE THE DONUTS:
- Dust your work surface with flour, and separate the biscuits. Roll each biscuit out until it is a thin oval, less than ¼-inch thick. Trim the sides so that each oval is a rectangle, and cut each rectangle in half so you have two long, thin pieces of dough about 1” wide and 5-6” long.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a wide skillet, and add enough so you have at least ½-inch of oil in the pan. Insert a candy/deep fry thermometer, turn the heat to medium, and heat it until the oil is 350 degrees F.
- Add 3-4 pieces of dough and cook them for about 45 seconds per side, or until the doughnuts are puffed and golden brown on both sides.
- Use a slotted spoon or spatula to remove the doughnuts from the oil and set them on a baking sheet covered in paper towels. Repeat until all of the doughnuts are cooked. Watch the oil’s heat carefully, and raise or lower the stove’s temperature as necessary to keep the oil around 350 F.
- Let the doughnuts cool completely before glazing. While you wait for them to cool, prepare the glaze. Combine the candy coating and cream in a medium bowl, and microwave for 1 minute. Whisk them together, and if any lumps of candy remain, return the bowl to the microwave for an additional 15-20 seconds. Different cream brands have different percentages of fat, which can impact the final texture of the glaze, so you may need to add a bit more liquid to get it to a nice spread-able consistency. It should have some body and hold its shape for a few seconds when you drizzle a spoonful back into the bowl.
- Spread the glaze on top of the cooled doughnuts, and add a pinch of sprinkles on top while the doughnuts are still wet. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow the glaze to set. For the best taste and texture, these donut sticks are best enjoyed on the same day they are made.