Easy and fun, these mummy bites consist of apple slices enveloped in strips of pre-made pie dough, making it a breeze for even beginner bakers. As highlighted by Brown, the genius behind the “Brilliant Bites” cookbook, “These mummy pies are not only quick to whip up but also a joy to munch on. Perfect for those moments when you yearn for pie without the long baking process.”
If apples aren’t your fruit of choice, Maegan suggests giving peaches or pears a go, as long as they are ripe yet firm.
Maegan Brown’s Mummified Mini Apple Pies
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 large or 2 medium Honeycrisp apples (approx. 8 oz.)
- All-purpose flour (for dusting)
- ½ (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and divided
- Caramel sauce (warmed for serving)
- Candy eyeballs for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Cut the apple into approximately 20 slices, each about ¼-inch thick. Combine them in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon-sugar mix to coat evenly.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust into a 10-inch square. Brush it with half the melted butter and evenly sprinkle half of the leftover cinnamon-sugar mix over it. Using a sharp tool, cut the dough into 20 strips, each ½-inch wide.
- Take each apple slice and wrap it in a dough strip, ensuring the cinnamon-sugar side touches the apple. Neatly tuck the ends of the strips and arrange them on the baking sheet. Brush each mummified apple slice with the remaining butter and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar over them.
- Bake until the crust turns a golden hue, which should take around 15 minutes. Once out of the oven, use the caramel sauce to fix the candy eyeballs. Serve these little mummies with additional warm caramel sauce for an extra treat.
Yield: 20 mummy pies
Preparation: 15 minutes
Baking: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes