Kansas City’s love for barbecue has a new poster child: the Chiefs’ ace tight end, Travis Kelce. Not just making headlines on the field, Kelce is now venturing into the world of gourmet foods. Travis Kelce’s Kitchen, a unique line of barbecue dishes, has made its debut exclusively in select Walmart outlets across the nation.
But what prompted this gridiron giant to switch gears? Kansas City, known for its rich barbecue tradition, has inspired Kelce’s line. True to its origins, the range available in the refrigerated section of Walmart boasts seven items. This lineup mixes main courses and sides, all radiating Kansas City’s signature flavors. Highlights include two versions of macaroni and cheese, one rich with bacon and another with brisket burnt ends. On the side, baked beans come in two variations: one with sausage and the other, again, embracing those delicious burnt ends. For those seeking heartier options, slices of brisket soaked in barbecue sauce are up for grabs. Additionally, a sausage and meatball marinara dish, bursting with peppers and onions, promises a twist from the regular barbecue offerings.
Here’s the full lineup of Travis Kelce’s Kitchen prepared meals:
- Bacon Mac & Cheese: This dish includes jumbo macaroni noodles coated in a cheddar cheese sauce infused with juicy bacon morsels.
- Brisket Burnt Ends & BBQ Sauce: Slow-cooked and caramelized beef is topped with Kansas City barbecue sauce.
- BBQ Baked Beans with Burnt Ends: This dish includes baked black beans and white kidney beans topped with brown sugar, bacon and onions, as well as seasoned beef brisket burnt ends.
- Brisket Burnt Ends with Mac & Cheese: Jumbo macaroni coated in a cheddar cheese sauce is paired with charred and seasoned beef brisket burnt ends.
- Sliced Brisket in BBQ Sauce: This dish pairs brisket with a smoky Kansas City-style barbecue sauce.
- BBQ Baked Beans with Sausage: Smoky barbecue baked black beans and white kidney beans are sweetened with brown sugar and paired with bacon, onions and pork sausage.
- Sausage and Meatball Marinara with Peppers and Onions: Sliced pork sausage, pork meatballs and beef meatballs are finished with a marinara sauce sauteed with bell peppers and onions.
Pricing for the dishes varies but starts at $8.17 for the Sliced Pork Sausage BBQ Baked Beans and runs up to $12.78 for meals like the Sliced Brisket in BBQ Sauce and Burnt Ends & BBQ Sauce.
When he’s not on the field or cooking up a storm, Travis, along with his brother, Jason Kelce, shares snippets of their lives on the podcast, New Heights with Jason and Travis Kelce. While sports dominate the conversation, the duo doesn’t shy away from discussing their food preferences or even Travis’s alleged romantic link-ups, such as the one with pop icon Taylor Swift.
In a light-hearted segment, the brothers recently dived into their love for Dippin’ Dots. With Jason branding it the “ice cream of the future,” Travis couldn’t help but disclose that teammate Patrick Mahomes owns a special Dippin’ Dots freezer.
On another jovial note from their podcast, the siblings got into a spirited debate about the best fast food burger. While Travis is firmly in the Burger King camp, praising the Whopper, Jason enthusiastically backed his choice, adding a nod to the double Whopper with cheese.
Travis Kelce’s foray into the culinary realm adds another feather to his cap. As Kansas City and barbecue enthusiasts await more innovations from Kelce’s kitchen, one thing is for sure: this tight end’s culinary game is just getting started.