Volcano Gnocchi is Gnocchi in Pink Sauce with a blend of Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese served in a Rustic Bread. You can get Volcano Gnocchi at La Fontana Steakhouse in Miami, Florida.
Ingredients for homemade Gnocchi:
- 2 large Russet potatoes – about 1 1/2 pounds total
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut peeled potatoes into 2-inch chunks and place in a pot of cold salted water. Bring to a boil, cover & simmer 12-15 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Rice (or mash) the potatoes while still hot into a large bowl. You should have about 3 cups.
- Stir flour into hot potatoes followed by egg and salt.
- Place on floured surface and knead for about a minute to reach a smooth dough. Lift with a scraper if needed. Do not overwork.
- Cut dough into 8 sections. Roll each section into a rope about 18-inches long.
- Using a scraper or knife, cut each rope into 1-inch pieces (about 20 pieces per rope)
- Drop (about 20 at a time) into boiling salted water, stirring at first so they don’t stick. Boil for about 2 minutes/no more than 3). When they rise to the top, give them 15-20 seconds and they’re done.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and serve.
- Gnocchi freeze beautifully. Before boiling, place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and freeze (be sure they’re not touching). Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. Cook frozen ones the same as fresh.