The Southern Chicken Waffle Burger has an amazing combination of sweet and savory with the maple glazed bacon and fried egg.
- 2 waffles
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 medium eggs, 1 beaten
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Crispy onions
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 rashers streaky smoked bacon
- 1 cheese slice
For the chicken seasoning:
- 2 tbsp white plain flour
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch white pepper
- Grind of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- Small pinch dried powdered ginger
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- In a bowl mix together all of the chicken seasoning ingredients. Take the chicken breast and place on a chopping board and cover with a layer of cling film. Using a rolling pin, flatten the fatter end down a bit so it cooks evenly once in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan). Heat a frying pan over a medium to high heat and add a splash of cooking oil. Once warmed, dredge the chicken in the beaten egg then the seasoning and add it to the frying pan. Cook for a couple of minutes each side until golden then remove and add to a baking rack over a foil lined tray. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Heat through the waffles until crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside and set aside. Take the cheese slice and place it over the chicken in the oven so it melts during the final few minutes of cooking.
- Heat a frying pan and add a little oil. and add the bacon slices and the egg. Turn the bacon every couple of minutes until crisp on the edges and fry the egg sunny side up until the white is cooked and yolk still runny. Remove the bacon and place on kitchen roll to soak up excess grease. Drizzle the bacon with half the maple syrup.
- Remove the chicken from the oven once cooked through (after around 25-30mins of cooking). Set aside.
- Now it’s time to construct the burger. First place the first waffle down and add a tiny drizzle of maple syrup and then pile on the lettuce. Next add the burger topped with melted cheese. Next add the BBQ sauce and then the fried egg. Sprinkle over the crispy onions and lastly add the second waffle on top.
- Dig in and enjoy your Chicken Waffle Burger! 🙂