This delicious autumn-inspired dish combines tender chicken with the sweet and tangy flavors of apple cider, making for a perfect comfort meal as the weather cools.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup apple cider (preferably fresh)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced (choose a firm variety like Honeycrisp or Granny Smith)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Prep the Chicken: Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Sear the Chicken: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil or butter over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken breasts and sear until golden brown on both sides (about 5-6 minutes each side). Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Sauté the Aromatics: In the same skillet, add the sliced red onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften. Add the minced garlic, rosemary, and thyme, and cook for another minute.
- Add Apples and Liquids: Introduce the sliced apples to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, allowing them to slightly soften. Pour in the apple cider and chicken broth, stirring to combine and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Return the Chicken: Place the seared chicken breasts back into the skillet, nestling them into the liquid. Allow the mixture to come to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Finish with Cream (Optional): If you’re aiming for a creamier sauce, stir in the heavy cream, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Allow the mixture to simmer for an additional 5 minutes, letting the flavors meld together.
- Serve: Once cooked, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve the chicken hot, drizzled with the apple cider sauce and accompanied by your choice of side (rice, potatoes, or green veggies work well).
This Skillet Apple Cider Chicken is a hearty dish that captures the essence of fall in every bite. The sweet apples and tangy cider create a beautiful contrast with the savory chicken and herbs. Enjoy this meal on a chilly evening, and savor the flavors of the season!