This homemade Mexican Style Meatball soup is comforting, easy and delicious!
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup oatmeal flour (rolled oats ground, pulsed, or blended into flour)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt and pepper, to your taste (about an 1/8 teaspoon each)
- 2 Tbsps olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced thinly
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15oz.) jar diced tomatoes, with juices
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 4 cups chicken bone stock, or broth
- 2 fresh ears corn, corn cut from cobs
- a handful of fresh picked cilantro leaves, to garnish
- fresh sliced jalapeno peppers
- juice of 1 lime, and/or lime wedges
- In a medium bowl, add all of your meatball ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine (or just get your hands in there like I do!).
- Take about a spoonful of mixture and roll it between your palms to create a meatball.
- Repeat with remaining mixture. (tip: use your cookie scoop to create evenly measured meatballs)
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add in your meatballs and cook until they start to nicely brown on the sides (the meatballs don’t have to be cooked through at this point).
- Stir in diced onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper and continue to cook until your veggies soften a bit, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock, black beans and the corn cut from the cob.
- Bring to a rapid boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15-18 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and fresh picked cilantro leaves, and jalapenos, then enjoy!
Source: Clean Food Crush