- 1 pound mashed potatoes, leftover, cold, thick works best
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- additional garlic
- green onions
- cheese, freshly shredded
- Combine cold mashed potatoes with any additional optional mix-ins.
- Using a small scoop, portion even balls (I use a 0.5 ounce scoop) onto a baking sheet.
- Chill balls to keep shape.
- During this time, heat deep fryer to 360 F.
- Working in small batches, coat balls in egg wash and roll evenly in panko + salt and pepper mixture.
- Fry without crowding, until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Remove to paper-lined plate to cool.
- Top with green onions, more cheese, and enjoy.
Source: Southern Fatty