Chili Cheese Fries From Scratch
- 5-6 potatoes (Yukon Gold or Russet)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or regular sugar
- cooking spray
Seasonings for the fries:
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium/big onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small/medium carrot, grated
- 5-6 medium diced fresh tomatoes
- 6 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups cooked or canned beans
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder,
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper,
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp hot chili powder
- 1-2 hot red chili peppers
- 2 tsp oil or water for frying
- Cheese of your choice
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into about 1/2 inch-wide sticks. (I used a crinkle cut knife).
- Place potato sticks in a bowl, sprinkle sugar over them. Set aside until liquid is released from the potatoes (20-25 minutes).
- After 15 minutes, preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 C) and line 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray.
- Drain liquid from potatoes and dry them well with kitchen paper.
- Coat fries with the seasonings. You can also use cooking spray on them to make them even crispier but they also turn out crispy without oil.
- Spread the fries into a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Flip halfway through. You can also use an air fryer and it will take less time (about 25 minutes at 400 degrees F).
- Meanwhile, start making the chili. In a large pan or pot over medium heat, add in the oil. Sauté the onion and pepper for about 3-4 minutes, add the garlic and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the tomatoes and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add all remaining ingredients, increase the heat and simmer for about 30-40 until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the fries on a plate, ladle some chili over them and top with a layer of cheese. Garnish with fresh herbs.
- Enjoy immediately!
One thought on “Chili Cheese Fries From Scratch”
Pingback: Steak and Cheese Gravy Fries