- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons 4.5 oz or 130g coconut oil, melted
- 1¼ cups coconut sugar
- ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 2.5 oz or 70g
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup almond flour 2 oz.
For the topping
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup coconut butter melted
- 16 whole almonds
- ½ cup dark chocolate melted
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil and spray with cooking spray; set prepared pan aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk to combine completely.
- Add the vanilla, eggs, and stir vigorously until batter is thick, shiny, and well blended. Add the almond flour and stir until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick in the center emerges slightly moist with batter, about 22-25 minutes. Check with a toothpick – it should come out with moist crumbs attached. Place brownies on a cooling rack to cool.
- Stir together the unsweetened shredded coconut and coconut butter. Spread evenly over the cooling brownies. Score the brownies into 16 squares and place an almond in the center of each brownie square. Place in the refrigerator or freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to set before cutting into 16 squares.
- Place melted chocolate into a small piping bag or Ziplock bag with the corner snipped off, and drizzle each brownie with chocolate. Let the chocolate set before serving.
- Brownies will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.