- 2 1/4 cups (318g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened about halfway*
- 2/3 cup (140g) granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 26 (208g) soft caramels such as Kraft, unwrapped
- 3 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 3/4 cup (128g) milk chocolate chips or chopped chocolate*
- Maldon sea salt flakes or Fleur de Sel, optional
- For the cookies: In a mixing bowl whisk together flour and salt. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until well combined.
- Mix in egg yolks and vanilla extract then with mixer set on low speed, slowly add in flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Scoop dough out 1 Tbsp at a time (24g) and shape into balls then place on a flat surface and make an indentation in middle of cookies with thumb.
- Transfer to plates (leaving a little space between cookies for even chilling. Also don’t just make indentation when cookies are on plates or they’ll likely stick) and chill in refrigerator 45 – 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees halfway through chilling cookies.
- Transfer cookies to a baking sheet lined with a silicone liner or parchment paper, spacing cookies 2-inches apart (keep remaining shaped cookies chilled). Bake in preheated oven 14 – 15 minutes until set.
- Remove from oven and immediately use the back of a rounded teaspoon to make a deeper indentation in center (as it likely flattened out a bit while baking). Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the caramel filling: Add caramels and cream to a medium mixing bowl. Heat in microwave on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring well between intervals, until melted and smooth.
- Spoon caramel into center of thumbprints adding just enough to fit without overflowing (about 1 heaping tsp). Rewarm as needed.
- For the chocolate drizzle: place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave on 50% power in 30 second increments, stirring well between intervals, until melted and smooth.
- Pour melted chocolate chocolate into a small resealable bag or piping bag, cut a tiny tip from corner and drizzle over tops of cookies. Sprinkle with sea salt if using.
- Allow chocolate to set at room temperature or in refrigerator. Store in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature.
Source: Cooking Classy