Onion Bombs look small, but they are fierce! Starting with a meatball inside, sweet onion outside, and wrapping this delicious package in crispy bacon, this recipe hits all the marks as a delicious appetizer or main course.
for 8 servings
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, loosely packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 medium onions
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, cubed
- 16 strips bacon
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F (220˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, bread crumbs, garlic, diced onion, parsley, egg, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and honey until evenly combined. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Cut the 4 onions vertically on cutting board. Remove the stem and root from each piece. The layers of each onion will act as “shells” to wrap around each meatball.
- Remove the meatball mixture from the refrigerator and pinch off golf ball-sized pieces of meat. Press a small cube of cheddar cheese into the middle of each meat portion, then form into a meatball shape with your hands.
- Wrap each meatball in 2 onion “shells”, then with 2 strips of bacon, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the meatballs with barbecue sauce, covering them completely.
- Bake for 45 minutes, brushing again with BBQ sauce halfway through, until deep brown with a nice crust on the outside.