Transform the classic comfort food into a hearty, one-pan wonder with our Spam Macaroni and Cheese recipe. This dish combines the familiar creamy, cheesy goodness of mac ‘n’ cheese with the savory, satisfying bite of golden-browned SPAM. It’s a simple, no-fuss meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights or when you’re craving something indulgent. With a golden breadcrumb topping baked to a crisp, optional for those who love a crunchy contrast, and a garnish of fresh parsley for a touch of brightness, this recipe is a modern take on a nostalgic favorite that is sure to become a new comfort classic in your home.
- 1 can of SPAM, diced into small cubes
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (optional for topping)
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) if you wish to bake the macaroni after combining it with the sauce for a crispy top.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente, usually about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat and add the diced SPAM. Fry until the cubes are golden brown on all sides, then remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk continuously for about 1 minute to create a roux.
- Gradually pour in the milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Continue to cook and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Add the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to the sauce, stirring well.
- Lower the heat and add the shredded cheddar and Parmesan cheese to the sauce, stirring until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cooked macaroni and the fried SPAM to the cheese sauce, stirring to combine thoroughly.
- If you chose to bake your macaroni, transfer the macaroni mixture to a greased baking dish. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top for a crunchy finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and crispy.
- If you’re not baking it, simply serve the macaroni hot after combining it with the cheese sauce and SPAM.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving to add a touch of color and freshness to the dish.
This Spam Macaroni and Cheese recipe is a hearty and comforting dish that’s perfect for a quick and easy meal. The salty savoriness of SPAM complements the creamy richness of the cheese sauce, making it a satisfying dish that’s sure to please the whole family. Enjoy!