A woman’s decision to try a popular TikTok hack to cook an egg in the microwave turned into a nightmare as she ended up with severe burns on her face.
In a cautionary tale that underscores the potential hazards of online cooking hacks, a woman named Shafia Bashir was left shocked and injured after attempting to cook eggs in her microwave. Bashir’s experience serves as a stark reminder that what may seem like a convenient cooking shortcut can turn into a dangerous endeavor. As we navigate the world of online culinary trends, it is vital to prioritize safety when attempting unfamiliar techniques.
A mum was left with her skin peeling from her face after she cooked eggs in a microwave that exploded while trying out a viral TikTok ‘hack’.— Random (@Name__And_Shame) May 29, 2023
Shafia Bashir, 37, was in “absolute agony” when making a poached egg after following a recipe she found on social media #News pic.twitter.com/OcSbdLYQFm
She’d first poured some boiling water in a mug before adding the egg and then put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes until it had cooked.
But when she put a cold spoon on the egg, it erupted “like a fountain” and scolded the right side of her face – leaving her in the “most excruciating” pain of her life.
Shafia went to get medical attention where her burns were treated, but she said they were still stinging 12 hours after the incident.
She said: “I just don’t want anyone else going through that, because it is trending on TikTok…It was the most excruciating pain in my life.
“It was a terrifying time for me. I was in absolute agony.
“As soon as I put the cold spoon in, it exploded like a fountain and it scolded me.
But it’s not the first time the trick has gone wrong, with Chantelle Conway, from Farnworth, claiming a similar thing happened to her in 2021.
Shafia said she had been left traumatised after the incident and vowed never to eat an egg again.
But she has also seen the funny side of her experiences and made light of them to her 15,000 followers on TikTok.